During a safety walk round, it was observed that a snake was on top of the anchor winch while vessel was at anchor near a port.
What were the causes?
Summer is the season where personnel can come into contact with snakes due to warm weather. In ports in some parts of the world, it is a common occurrence for snakes to climb up chains and ropes.
Actions to be taken in case of snake bite:
- Move the person beyond striking distance of the snake;
- Cover the wound with a loose sterile bandage;
- Remove any jewellery from the area that was bitten;
- Have the person lie down with wound below the heart;
- Be ready to describe the snake to emergency staff, pictures of the snake will be helpful;
- Contact DPA for shore medical assistance arrangements.