The UK Health and Safety Executive (HSE) fined a company after it caused the death of a child when he was trapped between an unsecured pole and a fence.
An employee delivered an overhead power pole to a roadside verge location, and left the pole unsecured [IMCA emphasis] at the top of an embankment. It subsequently rolled down, trapping a 12-year-old child between it and a fence, causing fatal injuries.
What went wrong?
- There was a failure to provide a safe system of work for the delivery and storage of the poles;
- There was a failure to provide suitable training, information and instruction to employees engaged in their tasks.