It has been reported to IMCA that there have been several incidents lately relating to electrical safety.
- Working on electrical equipment can be a highly hazardous job
- The identification of the risks involved can be hidden and taken for granted.
Risks associated with working on energised equipment include:
- Electrical shock/electrocution to personnel
- Electrical arcing or flash burns
- Electrical fires
To prevent electrical injuries while working with electrical equipment, ensuring the following safety work practices are followed:
- Ensure all applicable ‘permits to work’ and stored energy lock-out/tag-out steps are taken;
- Prior to performing any work a job safety assessment/toolbox talk must be performed to determine the appropriate safeguards and personal protective equipment.