IMCA publishes detailed guidance and audit documentation in relation to diving equipment. The key documents are:
- Code of practice for the initial and periodic examination, testing and certification of diving plant and equipmentThe code gives examples of good practice and provides advice on the ways in which inspection and testing of diving plant and equipment should be carried out.
- Diving Equipment Systems Inspection Guidance Notes (DESIGN)
Complementing the above code, these documents specify systematic periodic examination and testing requirements for generic items of plant and equipment. They provide the elements of the certification that the diving contractor should include in a plant and equipment register and forms the basis of a planned maintenance system, referring back to the code for detailed information on testing requirements.
Five DESIGN documents are currently available, as follows:
- Diving Equipment Systems Inspection Guidance Note (DESIGN) for surface orientated (air) diving systems
- DESIGN for saturation (bell) diving systems
- DESIGN for surface supplied mixed gas diving systems
- DESIGN for mobile/portable surface supplied systems
- DESIGN for the hyperbaric reception facility (HRF) forming part of a hyperbaric evacuation system (HES)