IMCA runs a certification scheme for offshore air and bell diving supervisors, as set out in IMCA offshore diving supervisor and life support technician certification schemes .
Those meeting entry criteria (such as holding a recognised diver training certificate), first undergo IMCA-approved training in the relevant category:
- IMCA-approved trainee air diving supervisor courses
- IMCA-approved trainee bell diving supervisor courses
Then, after gaining the required, logged experience at trainee/assistant level, candidates can be put forward by IMCA diving contractor members to sit the relevant IMCA examinations:
- IMCA certification scheme and examinations process
- Verify an IMCA certificate (including the list of withdrawn certificates)
IMCA has entered into recognition agreements which mean that the following certificates are recognised as being appropriate for diving supervisors for the purposes of compliance with IMCA guidance:
- ADAS offshore diving supervisor
- DCBC offshore diving supervisor
- NDC supervisor (for those working in Dutch waters only).
Full details are set out in Diver and diving supervisor certification and Diving supervisor certification - mutual recognition agreements.
To check the validity of these and other diving certificates, see Verification of diver qualifications.