Damage to chain hoist subsea
Whilst divers were lowering a large clamp for installation, the chain block used to centralise the clamp on the horizontal member became trapped in the hinge point on the clamp. The clamp was opened when it was noticed and damage to the chain link was observed. There was no damage to the clamp itself.
What were the causes?
- Although initial checks of the worksite were performed, checks were not frequent enough during the task of lowering and closing the clamp;
- Whilst the procedure did include a safety note on awareness around pinch points, however, it did not specify any checks the hoist chain or loose items of rigging;
- There was no prompt for entanglement or snagging hazards included in the dive team procedures.
The root cause was found to be that the procedures did not identify and highlight entanglement or snagging hazards.
What our member did
- Caused heightened awareness around snagging hazards when operating chain lever hoists;
- Reviewed procedures to include a prompt for the use of chain / lever hoists identifying the risk of entrapment of chains.
Members may wish to refer to:
Published: 24 October 2022
Download: IMCA SF 23/22
IMCA Safety Flashes
Submit a Report
IMCA Safety Flashes summarise key safety matters and incidents, allowing lessons to be more easily learnt for the benefit of all. The effectiveness of the IMCA Safety Flash system depends on Members sharing information and so avoiding repeat incidents. Please consider adding [email protected] to your internal distribution list for safety alerts or manually submitting information on incidents you consider may be relevant. All information is anonymised or sanitised, as appropriate.
IMCA’s store terms and conditions (https://www.imca-int.com/legal-notices/terms/) apply to all downloads from IMCA’s website, including this document.
IMCA makes every effort to ensure the accuracy and reliability of the data contained in the documents it publishes, but IMCA shall not be liable for any guidance and/or recommendation and/or statement herein contained. The information contained in this document does not fulfil or replace any individual’s or Member's legal, regulatory or other duties or obligations in respect of their operations. Individuals and Members remain solely responsible for the safe, lawful and proper conduct of their operations.