IMCA has received a report of a very serious threat to the safety of a gas production platform, caused by rafts containing bundles of lit cooking gas tank sets. These had been deployed by fishing boats to attract fish and drifted toward the gas production platforms. Such floating lights are an ignition source potentially hazardous to oil and gas operations.
The company involved reports that fishing boats violating the 500 metre safety zone have become a significant problem, increasing the risk of collisions, and endangering the security and safety of personnel and equipment. It has suggested the following possible solutions:
- a continuation of monitoring and reporting of safety zone violation incidents;
- an increased security watch;
- alerting other locations to ensure that they are aware of such potential floating ignition sources;
- continuing PR and friendly communication with fishery groups to make the fisherman aware of the potential danger to themselves and to gas production operations;
- discussion with authorities to find appropriate ways to solve the problem and enforce the law.
IMCA Safety Flashes summarise key safety matters and incidents, allowing lessons to be more easily learnt for the benefit of all. The effectiveness of the IMCA Safety Flash system depends on Members sharing information and so avoiding repeat incidents. Please consider adding [email protected] to your internal distribution list for safety alerts or manually submitting information on incidents you consider may be relevant. All information is anonymised or sanitised, as appropriate.
IMCA’s store terms and conditions (https://www.imca-int.com/legal-notices/terms/) apply to all downloads from IMCA’s website, including this document.
IMCA makes every effort to ensure the accuracy and reliability of the data contained in the documents it publishes, but IMCA shall not be liable for any guidance and/or recommendation and/or statement herein contained. The information contained in this document does not fulfil or replace any individual’s or Member's legal, regulatory or other duties or obligations in respect of their operations. Individuals and Members remain solely responsible for the safe, lawful and proper conduct of their operations.