A lifting line failed whilst vessel crew were lifting the gangway to stow it in position on departure from an anchorage. The gangway was hoisted to a position 20-30 cm below the final position, when suddenly the wire parted making the gangway pivot at the top platform hinge, and it fell freely to water level. Due to this free fall and sudden jerking the gangway was severely damaged – multiple cracks, rendering it unusable. It had to be replaced. There were no injuries.
What went wrong? What were the causes?
Our member noted the following:
- The gangway hoisting mechanism was an electric motor with a remote control. Both were working well;
The immediate cause was found to be that the gangway lifting wire had deteriorated and was not in good condition. A causal factor was inadequate maintenance – there was inadequate and improper greasing. The wires were dry on the inside resulting in the wire deteriorating faster.
The root causes were determined to be
- The risk of this wire failing on this recurring task was seen as tolerable;
- There was also no proper supervision or verification of the maintenance by the supervisor.
What actions were taken?
- Ensure required checks and maintenance of the gangway are carried out;
- Monitor overall condition of the gangway including the wire when picking up and lowering, and report any defects noted immediately;
- Ensure crew are aware of how to effectively grease lifting wires;
- Supervise and verify the greasing of wires to ensure this is done correctly.
Members may wish to refer to the following similar incidents:
IMCA Safety Flashes summarise key safety matters and incidents, allowing lessons to be more easily learnt for the benefit of all. The effectiveness of the IMCA Safety Flash system depends on Members sharing information and so avoiding repeat incidents. Please consider adding [email protected] to your internal distribution list for safety alerts or manually submitting information on incidents you consider may be relevant. All information is anonymised or sanitised, as appropriate.
IMCA’s store terms and conditions (https://www.imca-int.com/legal-notices/terms/) apply to all downloads from IMCA’s website, including this document.
IMCA makes every effort to ensure the accuracy and reliability of the data contained in the documents it publishes, but IMCA shall not be liable for any guidance and/or recommendation and/or statement herein contained. The information contained in this document does not fulfil or replace any individual’s or Member's legal, regulatory or other duties or obligations in respect of their operations. Individuals and Members remain solely responsible for the safe, lawful and proper conduct of their operations.