While activating a ‘glow stick’ the casing snapped releasing the glow dye. Our member noted that a number of sticks from the same batch broke open, releasing the chemical dye contents.
What went wrong? What were the causes?
Probable causes noted:
- Storage – the plastic from which these are made is known to be brittle if exposed to extreme temperatures. This may be a probable cause considering warehousing locations of the item;
- Issues with manufacture – the manufacturer speculated that “during the injection when we make the tube a small piece of dust [may have] prevented the tube from forming properly which can cause this type of phenomenon.”
What actions were taken? What lessons were learned?
- Ensure long-term storage in appropriate air-conditioned environment;
- When opening such light sticks, do so well away from your eyes, and wearing protective gloves;
- Check expiry date and/or authenticity of existing stock of such materials.
Members may wish to refer to:
- Life raft self-activates and falls to the quayside[causal factor: exposure of equipment to very high temperatures]
IMCA Safety Flashes summarise key safety matters and incidents, allowing lessons to be more easily learnt for the benefit of all. The effectiveness of the IMCA Safety Flash system depends on Members sharing information and so avoiding repeat incidents. Please consider adding [email protected] to your internal distribution list for safety alerts or manually submitting information on incidents you consider may be relevant. All information is anonymised or sanitised, as appropriate.
IMCA’s store terms and conditions (https://www.imca-int.com/legal-notices/terms/) apply to all downloads from IMCA’s website, including this document.
IMCA makes every effort to ensure the accuracy and reliability of the data contained in the documents it publishes, but IMCA shall not be liable for any guidance and/or recommendation and/or statement herein contained. The information contained in this document does not fulfil or replace any individual’s or Member's legal, regulatory or other duties or obligations in respect of their operations. Individuals and Members remain solely responsible for the safe, lawful and proper conduct of their operations.