Skip to content

Ignited hand sanitiser

What happened?

Someone got his hands burnt when alcohol based hand sanitiser caught fire. The person was using alcohol based hand sanitiser as recommended during the Corona pandemic. The person touched a surface before his hands were completely dry. Due to static electricity, the fumes from the hand sanitiser ignited with an almost invisible flame on both hands. The person quickly managed to get to a sink to extinguish the flames.

Consequence: First and second degree burns!

What were the causes? What went wrong?

The person did not ‘identify all energy sources’ – alcohol based sanitiser is inherently flammable and hence a potentially hazardous source of energy.

Members may wish to refer to:

Safety Event

Published: 5 May 2020
Download: IMCA SF 15/20

Relevant life-saving rules:
IMCA Safety Flashes
Submit a Report

IMCA Safety Flashes summarise key safety matters and incidents, allowing lessons to be more easily learnt for the benefit of all. The effectiveness of the IMCA Safety Flash system depends on Members sharing information and so avoiding repeat incidents. Please consider adding [email protected] to your internal distribution list for safety alerts or manually submitting information on incidents you consider may be relevant. All information is anonymised or sanitised, as appropriate.

IMCA’s store terms and conditions ( apply to all downloads from IMCA’s website, including this document.

IMCA makes every effort to ensure the accuracy and reliability of the data contained in the documents it publishes, but IMCA shall not be liable for any guidance and/or recommendation and/or statement herein contained. The information contained in this document does not fulfil or replace any individual’s or Member's legal, regulatory or other duties or obligations in respect of their operations. Individuals and Members remain solely responsible for the safe, lawful and proper conduct of their operations.