During recovery of tugger winches on an A-frame workstation, the headache ball experienced normal movement when exiting the splash zone. However, in this instance, the headache ball came into contact with the vessel fender and damaged an acoustic beacon. The damaged beacon was taken out of service and repair arranged.
What went wrong?
- The damage occurred with normal perpendicular movement of the headache ball as it went through the splash zone;
- The A-frame, due to its height, did not allow the outboarding of a load far enough away from the vessel hull;
- This was a known hazard associated with vessel design, however team onboard had previously worked around the problem during equipment overboarding and recovery.
The actions were:
- Design and install a protective cage for the acoustic beacon;
- Undertake a full design review with a focus on the Tooling Skid and associated tasks and systems, and also a review of the design of the A-Frame.
- A-frame design modifications implemented, to extend the reach and keep the load away from vessel hull during overboarding and recovery.
Members may wish to refer to:
IMCA Safety Flashes summarise key safety matters and incidents, allowing lessons to be more easily learnt for the benefit of all. The effectiveness of the IMCA Safety Flash system depends on Members sharing information and so avoiding repeat incidents. Please consider adding [email protected] to your internal distribution list for safety alerts or manually submitting information on incidents you consider may be relevant. All information is anonymised or sanitised, as appropriate.
IMCA’s store terms and conditions (https://www.imca-int.com/legal-notices/terms/) apply to all downloads from IMCA’s website, including this document.
IMCA makes every effort to ensure the accuracy and reliability of the data contained in the documents it publishes, but IMCA shall not be liable for any guidance and/or recommendation and/or statement herein contained. The information contained in this document does not fulfil or replace any individual’s or Member's legal, regulatory or other duties or obligations in respect of their operations. Individuals and Members remain solely responsible for the safe, lawful and proper conduct of their operations.