LTI: finger injury during davit test
A worker suffered a serious finger injury when his hand got caught between a painter rope under tension and the handrail. The incident occurred during testing of the rescue boat davit. He was holding the painter line, which was hitched to the handrail, coiled around his right hand. During the test, the winch brake system failed. This caused the FRC to fall. The crew members’ hand was stuck between the painter rope and the handrail. He suffered serious lacerations and compound fractures to his baby finger. The FRC was damaged.
What went wrong
- The brake failed causing the FRC to fall. This was not anticipated;
- The injured person coiled the painter line around his hand, and was not wearing appropriate safety gloves;
- The crew members involved in the task were unaware of the risks involved and did not even fully understand the aim of the operation;
- The person in charge did not appropriately supervise the operation. The toolbox talk did not communicate sufficient information.
- Be aware of the risks around you – stay out of the “bight” of ropes that might come under tension;
- Don’t wind ropes around your hand if they could come under tension;
- Understand what is happening around you. What are the hazards of the task you are doing?
- Wear appropriate PPE.
Our member went on to ensure that there were specific launch and test procedures for the FRC, and investigated the failure of the brake.
Members may wish to refer to:
Published: 18 January 2023
Download: IMCA SF 03/23
IMCA Safety Flashes
Submit a Report
IMCA Safety Flashes summarise key safety matters and incidents, allowing lessons to be more easily learnt for the benefit of all. The effectiveness of the IMCA Safety Flash system depends on Members sharing information and so avoiding repeat incidents. Please consider adding [email protected] to your internal distribution list for safety alerts or manually submitting information on incidents you consider may be relevant. All information is anonymised or sanitised, as appropriate.
IMCA’s store terms and conditions (https://www.imca-int.com/legal-notices/terms/) apply to all downloads from IMCA’s website, including this document.
IMCA makes every effort to ensure the accuracy and reliability of the data contained in the documents it publishes, but IMCA shall not be liable for any guidance and/or recommendation and/or statement herein contained. The information contained in this document does not fulfil or replace any individual’s or Member's legal, regulatory or other duties or obligations in respect of their operations. Individuals and Members remain solely responsible for the safe, lawful and proper conduct of their operations.