We have received reports of a near-miss wherein a worker was nearly caught between a load and a fixed structure.
The immediate cause of the near-miss was crane creep, which was compensated for automatically with an upward movement of the load, almost trapping the worker on the deck.
Underlying causes noted were:
- insufficient management engagement;
- responsibility for operation and maintenance of crane not being properly understood;
- inadequate knowledge of crane operational ‘routine’s and condition;
- maintenance ‘routine’s not being specific enough.
The recommended actions included:
- ensuring that responsibility and reporting ‘routine’s in connection with crane operation and maintenance are clearly understood by all involved;
- ensuring appropriate competence and training for all personnel with crane functions;
- checking and updating of maintenance ‘routine’s, with daily follow-up for all cranes;
- replacement of the existing ‘creep compensator’
- review of the company’s crane manuals and training material to ensure that they are appropriate and up-to-date.
IMCA Safety Flashes summarise key safety matters and incidents, allowing lessons to be more easily learnt for the benefit of all. The effectiveness of the IMCA Safety Flash system depends on Members sharing information and so avoiding repeat incidents. Please consider adding [email protected] to your internal distribution list for safety alerts or manually submitting information on incidents you consider may be relevant. All information is anonymised or sanitised, as appropriate.
IMCA’s store terms and conditions (https://www.imca-int.com/legal-notices/terms/) apply to all downloads from IMCA’s website, including this document.
IMCA makes every effort to ensure the accuracy and reliability of the data contained in the documents it publishes, but IMCA shall not be liable for any guidance and/or recommendation and/or statement herein contained. The information contained in this document does not fulfil or replace any individual’s or Member's legal, regulatory or other duties or obligations in respect of their operations. Individuals and Members remain solely responsible for the safe, lawful and proper conduct of their operations.