A member has advised of the following near miss. A mechanic was working on a jet pump when a bracket holding the jet hose failed. The bracket was being used to rack jet hose. When falling, the hose could potentially have struck the mechanic and caused injury. Fortunately it did not.
Investigation showed that the bracket had been welded to the jet pump in the field and appeared to have failed upon the equipment returning from a project.
The company has noted the following:
- Welding or cutting reduces the designed strength of a frame and can causing lifting points and/or the frame to fail during lifting options;
- Any modifications to standard-configuration equipment needed ‘in the field’ should be considered using the company’s management of change procedure prior to them being carried out;
- Any such modifications will only be made after completion and approval of the management of change process, involving rotating stock and safety personnel;
- Any such modifications, if approved, should only be carried out by an appropriately certified welder;
- No modifications should be made which bypass or override any safety device under any circumstance.
IMCA Safety Flashes summarise key safety matters and incidents, allowing lessons to be more easily learnt for the benefit of all. The effectiveness of the IMCA Safety Flash system depends on Members sharing information and so avoiding repeat incidents. Please consider adding [email protected] to your internal distribution list for safety alerts or manually submitting information on incidents you consider may be relevant. All information is anonymised or sanitised, as appropriate.
IMCA’s store terms and conditions (https://www.imca-int.com/legal-notices/terms/) apply to all downloads from IMCA’s website, including this document.
IMCA makes every effort to ensure the accuracy and reliability of the data contained in the documents it publishes, but IMCA shall not be liable for any guidance and/or recommendation and/or statement herein contained. The information contained in this document does not fulfil or replace any individual’s or Member's legal, regulatory or other duties or obligations in respect of their operations. Individuals and Members remain solely responsible for the safe, lawful and proper conduct of their operations.