The National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) of the United States has published their SAFER SEAS Digest 2020, being lessons learned from marine accident investigations. The NTSB determines the probable cause of the accidents and issues safety recommendations aimed at preventing future accidents.
The digest covers lessons learned from 42 maritime accidents involving contact with fixed objects, sinkings, collisions, fires, explosions, flooding, groundings, and capsizings. The safety issues categorised include:
- Procedures and effective communication;
- Crew training;
- Voyage planning and dynamic risk assessment, vessel speed;
- Smoke detection, storage of flammable or combustible materials, closing ventilation inlets during a fire;
- Lithium-ion battery hazards;
- Navigating through bridges, operating in high-water/high-current conditions;
- Effective hull inspection and maintenance, inspection of control linkages.
The contents include reports on the investigation into:
- 18 cases of vessels inappropriately contacting the quay or other fixed structure;
- 8 collisions;
- 6 fires or explosions;
- 4 flooding incidents,
- 2 groundings and,
- Equipment and machinery failure.
Also covered is the sinking of the Liftboat Kristin Faye.
IMCA Safety Flashes summarise key safety matters and incidents, allowing lessons to be more easily learnt for the benefit of all. The effectiveness of the IMCA Safety Flash system depends on Members sharing information and so avoiding repeat incidents. Please consider adding [email protected] to your internal distribution list for safety alerts or manually submitting information on incidents you consider may be relevant. All information is anonymised or sanitised, as appropriate.
IMCA’s store terms and conditions (https://www.imca-int.com/legal-notices/terms/) apply to all downloads from IMCA’s website, including this document.
IMCA makes every effort to ensure the accuracy and reliability of the data contained in the documents it publishes, but IMCA shall not be liable for any guidance and/or recommendation and/or statement herein contained. The information contained in this document does not fulfil or replace any individual’s or Member's legal, regulatory or other duties or obligations in respect of their operations. Individuals and Members remain solely responsible for the safe, lawful and proper conduct of their operations.