A member has reported an incident in which a person sustained an injury to his right foot caused by a moving roller in pipe-handling equipment. The injury happened when a crewman took a window of opportunity during a short repair period to paint pipe numbers on the ends of the pipes. The operator of the roller did not ensure that the area was clear moving the roller, and the crewman was caught by the roller and sustained a crush injury to the right foot.
Our member’s investigation revealed the following:
- Operator operating the roller machines failed to ensure the ramp way/area was clear before activating the pipe transfer machines;
- There was a lack of supervision from the work supervisor;
- The operator of the roller machine was not able to communicate effectively with other workers. Our member took the following corrective actions:
- The task of numbering of pipes was transferred to another, safer, location;
- An alarm warning system was installed to alert the operator of the presence of personnel in the path of the rollers;
- Signage was installed warning personnel that they were ‘in the line of fire’ in this location.
Members may wish to refer to the following similar incidents (key words: pipe, roll)
IMCA Safety Flashes summarise key safety matters and incidents, allowing lessons to be more easily learnt for the benefit of all. The effectiveness of the IMCA Safety Flash system depends on Members sharing information and so avoiding repeat incidents. Please consider adding [email protected] to your internal distribution list for safety alerts or manually submitting information on incidents you consider may be relevant. All information is anonymised or sanitised, as appropriate.
IMCA’s store terms and conditions (https://www.imca-int.com/legal-notices/terms/) apply to all downloads from IMCA’s website, including this document.
IMCA makes every effort to ensure the accuracy and reliability of the data contained in the documents it publishes, but IMCA shall not be liable for any guidance and/or recommendation and/or statement herein contained. The information contained in this document does not fulfil or replace any individual’s or Member's legal, regulatory or other duties or obligations in respect of their operations. Individuals and Members remain solely responsible for the safe, lawful and proper conduct of their operations.