Recently it was reported that the end of a transponder stored in an on-shore workshop blew off. The transponder had been in storage for a couple of months after being demobilised from the offshore site.
The cause was identified a result of seawater leaking into the housing during subsea operation – this reacted with the electrolyte in the battery pack and produced gas. Over a period the gas pressure built up causing the plastic retaining ring to fail which enabled the end to blow off. It was noticed that the vent bleed valve on the housing was closed.
The contractor involved has made a number of recommendations including:
- Where practicable, a proper vent valve should be fitted to the highest point of the housing;
- Caution should be taken when opening up housings;
- Housings should be vented prior to shipping them back to storage or other worksites.
IMCA Safety Flashes summarise key safety matters and incidents, allowing lessons to be more easily learnt for the benefit of all. The effectiveness of the IMCA Safety Flash system depends on Members sharing information and so avoiding repeat incidents. Please consider adding [email protected] to your internal distribution list for safety alerts or manually submitting information on incidents you consider may be relevant. All information is anonymised or sanitised, as appropriate.
IMCA’s store terms and conditions (https://www.imca-int.com/legal-notices/terms/) apply to all downloads from IMCA’s website, including this document.
IMCA makes every effort to ensure the accuracy and reliability of the data contained in the documents it publishes, but IMCA shall not be liable for any guidance and/or recommendation and/or statement herein contained. The information contained in this document does not fulfil or replace any individual’s or Member's legal, regulatory or other duties or obligations in respect of their operations. Individuals and Members remain solely responsible for the safe, lawful and proper conduct of their operations.