A crew member on a vessel was inside his cabin bedroom when he heard a popping sound in his dayroom. Upon investigating he noticed the USB battery bank (containing Lithium-polymer batteries) charging on the desk was on fire. He immediately smothered the power bank with nearby clothing to knock down the flames and at the same time disconnected the power bank from the mains. He then sprayed the clothing with water to remove heat and placed the whole lot in metal for removal from the room.
Damage was contained to the desk, adjacent bulkhead and deck where the battery bank rested after being extinguished. There were no injuries.
What went right?
- The prompt action of the crew member (who was in the cabin at the time) meant that power was isolated from the USB power bank and the fire was quickly extinguished;
- The individual was very familiar with the company policy on personal electrical appliances.
- The power bank was not supplied with an adaptor when purchased, leaving the buyer to match the adaptor plug with the unit for wall charging. In this case the adaptors did match the input and output requirements and the USB cord;
- The USB power bank was plugged into a 220V wall outlet for charging. A 240V-100V adapter (European to North American plug) was plugged into the wall outlet then a standard, North American style, USB charge adapter plugged into the 240V-100V adapter. A type ‘C’ charge cord was used from the North American style USB charge adapter to the power bank;
- The crew member had noted at 19:10 that the power bank was 97% charged and planned to wait for a full charge. At approximately 19:50, the crew member heard the popping sound and saw a flash of light and flames coming from the power bank;
- From the location of the burn pattern away from the outlet, the failure looked to be within the USB power bank itself and not in the receptacle or adaptor;
- There were no reported electrical or power interruptions in the ship supply or in the receptacle in which the unit was charging. Trends were normal and didn’t show any interruptions. Power at the receptacle was reported by the chief engineer to be 237 V.
Our member notes that “whilst these devices are becoming more and more popular and are necessary for crew members who have long travel times to and from the vessel, there is no particular reason for their general or daily use onboard. There is more than enough power and electrical supply onboard for charging personal devices”.
- Our member proposed to control how and when these devices are charged up (as distinct from a possibly unpopular blanket ban on them). Such battery/power banks should:
- NEVER be left unattended when on charge;
- Be unplugged as soon as they are fully charged.
In this incident the potential was severe; however the individual was in his cabin at the time and early action was taken.
Members may wish to refer to:
IMCA Safety Flashes summarise key safety matters and incidents, allowing lessons to be more easily learnt for the benefit of all. The effectiveness of the IMCA Safety Flash system depends on Members sharing information and so avoiding repeat incidents. Please consider adding [email protected] to your internal distribution list for safety alerts or manually submitting information on incidents you consider may be relevant. All information is anonymised or sanitised, as appropriate.
IMCA’s store terms and conditions (https://www.imca-int.com/legal-notices/terms/) apply to all downloads from IMCA’s website, including this document.
IMCA makes every effort to ensure the accuracy and reliability of the data contained in the documents it publishes, but IMCA shall not be liable for any guidance and/or recommendation and/or statement herein contained. The information contained in this document does not fulfil or replace any individual’s or Member's legal, regulatory or other duties or obligations in respect of their operations. Individuals and Members remain solely responsible for the safe, lawful and proper conduct of their operations.