A worker stood up and subsequently fainted. The incident occurred during hose handling when a tanker was loading at a single point mooring (SPM). A rigger was in a crouched position working on the hoses. On completing the work, he stood up, stepped away, and fainted on the tanker main deck. He fell and in doing so he suffered a slight cut on the left side of the head.
He was assisted to his feet and first aid administered. After recovering, the injured person was requested to leave the tanker and the work site. He was taken ashore and after treated at a local hospital was declared fit.
What went wrong? What were the causes?
- It was extremely hot on board the tanker;
- The rigger was full of PPE including overalls and hard hat with chin strap (he was not suffering from sea sickness);
- The Rigger had spent the previous night on board the tanker with inadequate supplies of drinking water and had to wait until morning to receive a crate of drinking water from the vessel;
- The rigger did not report to the supervisor before starting work;
- In standing up suddenly after a long time spent crouching, the risk of fainting increased.
What lessons were learnt?
- Ensure personnel are medically and physically fit enough to work in the conditions for which they are hired, particularly in tropical climates;
- Ensure personnel are able to remain hydrated and have sufficient drinking water particularly in hot conditions;
- Ensure personnel eat properly and have the opportunity to take rest in the shade.
Members may wish to review the following incidents:
IMCA Safety Flashes summarise key safety matters and incidents, allowing lessons to be more easily learnt for the benefit of all. The effectiveness of the IMCA Safety Flash system depends on Members sharing information and so avoiding repeat incidents. Please consider adding [email protected] to your internal distribution list for safety alerts or manually submitting information on incidents you consider may be relevant. All information is anonymised or sanitised, as appropriate.
IMCA’s store terms and conditions (https://www.imca-int.com/legal-notices/terms/) apply to all downloads from IMCA’s website, including this document.
IMCA makes every effort to ensure the accuracy and reliability of the data contained in the documents it publishes, but IMCA shall not be liable for any guidance and/or recommendation and/or statement herein contained. The information contained in this document does not fulfil or replace any individual’s or Member's legal, regulatory or other duties or obligations in respect of their operations. Individuals and Members remain solely responsible for the safe, lawful and proper conduct of their operations.