During a vessel dry dock, smoke was observed coming from a forepeak store, which was also accessible from the mess room. Expired hand flare pyrotechnics, boxed and packed up for landing ashore, had been accidentally activated by yard personnel on board for cleaning and chipping the chain locker.
The alarm was raised and the necessary steps were taken for the safety of the crew and yard personnel.
What went wrong? What were the causes?
- Procedures were not followed:
- the third-party contractor personnel had been briefed regarding the company’s safety management system (SMS) but this incident still took place
- where third-party personnel are working, the area should be thoroughly checked for any unsafe practices that can take place.
What actions were taken? What lessons were learned?
- It was noted that since the forepeak store was also a provision store with access from the mess room, the risk of theft or pilferage could not be neglected;
- The expired pyrotechnics were sent back to the approved vendor.
Members may wish to look at the following incidents:
IMCA Safety Flashes summarise key safety matters and incidents, allowing lessons to be more easily learnt for the benefit of all. The effectiveness of the IMCA Safety Flash system depends on Members sharing information and so avoiding repeat incidents. Please consider adding [email protected] to your internal distribution list for safety alerts or manually submitting information on incidents you consider may be relevant. All information is anonymised or sanitised, as appropriate.
IMCA’s store terms and conditions (https://www.imca-int.com/legal-notices/terms/) apply to all downloads from IMCA’s website, including this document.
IMCA makes every effort to ensure the accuracy and reliability of the data contained in the documents it publishes, but IMCA shall not be liable for any guidance and/or recommendation and/or statement herein contained. The information contained in this document does not fulfil or replace any individual’s or Member's legal, regulatory or other duties or obligations in respect of their operations. Individuals and Members remain solely responsible for the safe, lawful and proper conduct of their operations.