Damage was reported to the steering gear hydraulic ram foundation brackets connecting the ram to the structure of the vessel. The foundation bracket casting failed.
What went wrong? Investigation and findings
- The failed brackets were of a cast bronze design and by nature of the material were unable to withstand shock loads;
- It can be seen in the above photograph that the casting had a design flaw whereby there is no radius where the main body meets the flat mounting plate. The clearly shown sharp corner results in a stress raiser where the crack has occurred;
- Subsequent inspections across the fleet revealed several vessels with damaged brackets.
What lessons were learnt? And what were the actions?
- Thorough inspection of steering gear ram foundation brackets for cracks is recommended;
- Appropriate modification of vessel planned maintenance system to include this visual inspection;
- Our member noted that later vessels have brackets fabricated using welded steel plate.
Failure of welding (search “weld failed” on the IMCA website) yields a number of incidents, but failure of an actual casting is less commonplace.
IMCA Safety Flashes summarise key safety matters and incidents, allowing lessons to be more easily learnt for the benefit of all. The effectiveness of the IMCA Safety Flash system depends on Members sharing information and so avoiding repeat incidents. Please consider adding [email protected] to your internal distribution list for safety alerts or manually submitting information on incidents you consider may be relevant. All information is anonymised or sanitised, as appropriate.
IMCA’s store terms and conditions (https://www.imca-int.com/legal-notices/terms/) apply to all downloads from IMCA’s website, including this document.
IMCA makes every effort to ensure the accuracy and reliability of the data contained in the documents it publishes, but IMCA shall not be liable for any guidance and/or recommendation and/or statement herein contained. The information contained in this document does not fulfil or replace any individual’s or Member's legal, regulatory or other duties or obligations in respect of their operations. Individuals and Members remain solely responsible for the safe, lawful and proper conduct of their operations.