Our certification process ensures that candidates meet the criteria set for specific industry roles. We work closely with our Members to ensure that all our certification schemes are current and meet the needs of our industry.
The Dynamic Positioning (DP) Practitioner Accreditation Scheme was introduced in 2019. This scheme is an output of a cross industry workgroup consisting of DP vessel owners/operators, training providers, DP consultants, major energy companies and relevant organisations. This workgroup was tasked by IMCA’s Marine Division Management Committee in 2018 to devise a scheme to improve consistency and conduct of DP Trials. Additionally, the scheme set an industry recognised level of knowledge for DP Practitioners responsible for developing, witnessing and reporting of DP Trials in addition to those responsible for the management of the DP assurance processes.
- Improve the consistency and quality of DP trials
- Set a recognised level of knowledge for DP Practitioners responsible for developing, witnessing and reporting DP trials, and those responsible for the management of DP assurance processes
- Assure that DP Practitioners attending vessels for trials are accredited to a recognised standard
- Assure that personnel conducting DP assurance duties in both vessel operator and client offices are accredited to a recognised standard
- Meet the requirement of OCIMFs Dynamic Positioning Assurance Framework (2016) which calls for verification that shore based DP personnel and DP Assurance Practitioners are qualified, experienced and competent
There are two categories within this accreditation scheme:
- DP Trials and Assurance Practitioner – A person actively involved in producing, witnessing and assessing the results of DP FMEA proving trials and DP annual trials programmes
- A Company DP Authority – A person who manages, and provides advice on DP assurance processes and is typically employed within a DP vessel operator company or a DP vessel chartering company
There are several benefits of becoming an accredited DP Trials and Assurance Practitioner or company DP Authority:
- Firstly, you will be recognised by the industry and your peers for achieving the accreditation standard. As an accredited individual, you will receive an electronic certificate to recognise your achievement, which can be downloaded and printed for display purposes. Once you have achieved accredited status, you can state that you are ‘IMCA accredited’
- You will receive a dated plastic photo ID card, which can be used to verify your identity and accreditation. The date on your card will reflect the anniversary of your accreditation date
- DP vessel operators and their clients will benefit in the knowledge that the person charged with providing assurance during DP trials and those managing DP operations in their own organisations are accredited to a recognised level
Technical Adviser – Marine