The Singapore Tripartite Alliance for Workplace Safety and Health (WSH) has published Accident Notification 1920060 relating to a fatal fall from a gangway. This incident is still under investigation.
On 23 October 2019 around 5pm, a worker embarking onto a launch boat from a vessel gangway lost his balance and fell into the sea. The body of the worker was subsequently found in the sea.
The WSH makes a number of recommendations including:
- Pre-embarkation briefing;
- Ensuring workers are physically fit for the transfer;
- Ensuring transfer takes place in favourable conditions;
- Ensuring all are properly briefed on safe use of gangways;
- Ensuring that there is sufficient and appropriate supervision of transfers;
- Wearing of appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE).
A fuller treatment of the incident is available here.