Ignited hand sanitiser

What happened?

Someone got his hands burnt when alcohol based hand sanitiser caught fire. The person was using alcohol based hand sanitiser as recommended during the Corona pandemic. The person touched a surface before his hands were completely dry. Due to static electricity, the fumes from the hand sanitiser ignited with an almost invisible flame on both hands. The person quickly managed to get to a sink to extinguish the flames.

Consequence: First and second degree burns!

What were the causes? What went wrong?

The person did not ‘identify all energy sources’ – alcohol based sanitiser is inherently flammable and hence a potentially hazardous source of energy.